Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas [Head]Lights

You know you're addicted to blogging when you're laying on a stretcher in the back of an ambulance under the swift and tender care of paramedics and you're thinking to yourself, "How am I going to put this on the blog?" I think we'll just chalk it up to post-traumatic stress disorder :)

So, in case you haven't heard, what was meant to be a fun-filled night of going down town to see the lights turned into our own private episode of ER. In short, we were crossing an intersection doing about 50 mph (5 over the speed limit) and had almost made it all the way through when a car stopped in the left hand turn lane suddenly decided to try and cross three lanes of oncoming traffic for who knows what reason. He flew out and slammed into the front left corner of our car, sending our rear end momentarily airborn and sending his car spinning about 40 feet into a fence.

It all happened so fast, all I remember are the brief flash of oncoming headlights and then airbags, the horrific sounds of Aliyah screaming, my brother michael gasping and moaning, and Troy yelling to get my attention and see if I was ok. From then on things were a bit of a blur. Once I got my breath back I knew that I was going to be ok but the excruciating pain coming from my abdomen made me so afraid for the baby. My brothers and sister were in the car directly behind us, and what a blessing it was to have them there to take care of Aliyah (who was perfectly fine but scared) and Michael.

Again, long story short, we spent 5 hours with the ER doctors where it was determined that I was a little roughed up but the baby was fine, and they admitted me for the night to monitor the baby and make sure there was no damage to the placenta. We are all pretty sore but so grateful that things were not as bad as they could have been. I don't like to think about "could have been." Christmas takes on a whole new light when seen through the lens of those possibilities. I am so thankful to my family for being there in the instant that we needed them, waiting and praying in the hospital and in their homes and for the care they continue to give us. We truly are blessed this holiday season! We love you all and Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

janaya said...

what!? so scary! we're so glad you're all ok, and can't wait to hug you when we get back. so sorry for the trauma. hope your christmas is a good one, despite the soreness.

love you guys!

janaya & burton

randivon said...

I am so glad you all are okay. That is scary. I cannot imagine how scary that is as a mom with your little one in the back and and even littler one in your tummy. What a blessing that you all are okay!

Cormorant said...

Wow, that is a blessing that nothing worse happened. We're glad that you're all okay. Merry Christmas.

Brock said...

We sorry to hear about your scare. We are so glad that eveyone is ok. We hope that you all are able to able relax this morning. Merry Christmas!

HaLaine said...

Um. Chills right now. I was so scared when the Michy's told us. For some reason, it makes it that much worse when you're pregnant. I'm glad everyone is ok...

Kimbur said...

I'm so glad that you guys are all okay! That is so scary!

April said...

Linda just told me what happened to you. You and your family has both of our prayer. Please let us know as soon as you are doing ok