Thursday, March 27, 2008

I'm an Honorary Holstein

Well it's official. The Dairy Farmers of America just stopped by this morning to let me know that they've been watching my progress, and today celebrated my 350th hour of pumping since Gavin was born. They presented me with a very nice certificate and some complimentary wheat-grass from the farm (the cows all tell them it's great for boosting milk supply...) to commemorate the event. They also let me know that once I've hit 500 hours, I'll be offered a job and my very own stall at a nearby farm. I think they're secretly hoping I won't go independent and put them out of business.... I thanked them for the offer but insisted that no amount of money could entice me to continue my milking career, only the needs of one adorable preemie. They left slightly disappointed, but at least I got to keep my certificate and the grass... :)

8 comments:

janaya said...

hahahahaha. awesome.

randivon said...

Mel... you are too funny. So, I only pumped full time for a month and then part time for the months following and was sooooo ready to give it up! You are amazing! Thanks for doing such a wonderful thing for your little one. I am certain it is a good portion of the reason he is doing well. :-)

rachel demartin said...

too true my friend, too true. 7 1/2 months and still pumping...i don't even want to think about how many hours that equals. gretel (our 2nd) came only 6 weeks early but that month in the NICU was so hard. i've meant to check on you through janaya's blog, since she let me know about you...but got busy. melissa, did they give you any hand out on "premie body language" because i have some great stuff let me know...famdemartin@blogspot.com

heather said...

holy moly ... or should I say holy cow? My goodness! You're amazing. :)

joshandemily said...

Pumping really sucks--if you know what I mean (tee he he). Gavin is a lucky ducky to have a mommy like you who gives up so much time so he can get the good stuff.

Pamlee48@cs.com said...

Oh my goodness!! I was looking and looking for an update but didn't expect this one! I laughed right out loud through the whole thing. I think you seriously ought to seek a writing job as you are one talented writer. My daughter is at that phase as well. I just can't stop laughing. That was brillant! Love Bishop and Sister Lee

Anonymous said...

Melissa, You are so funny! I nursed Kevin for over 2 years so I can relate. We are so happy Gavin is home. God is so good. The people at my church will be so happy to hear the good news. Love all of you, Aunt Linda

Kimbur said...

You crack me up!