Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Best Kept Secret #1!

So I was reading the paper the other day and stumbled upon an article about how utah has this program that lets people get grocery items for ridiculously discounted prices so people can eat healthier. Thinking it was something about WIC, or food stamps, or free food at homeless shelters, I ALMOST passed it over, but decided it was worth a quick look. I am so glad I did! It turns out that the program is called The Community Food Co-op of Utah and it is the most awesome thing ever!! Basically it's a volunteer organization that buys food in bulk from local farmers and retailers and then turns around and sells it to the community for unbelievably low prices. Every month has a different food selection, but similar cost. All you have to do is call in your order, and then pick it up in two weeks at the delivery location nearest you! To give you an idea, here is July's order:
  • 19 oz colossimo's italian sausage
  • 20 oz Sirloin Beef Tips
  • 20 oz Chicken Breast Tenders
  • 3 lbs Chicken Thighs
  • 1 bag mini carrots
  • 1 bag potatoes
  • 2 yellow onions
  • 2 nectarines
  • 1 avocado
  • 5 bananas
  • 4 peaches
  • 2 limes
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 carton mushrooms
  • 1 bag brown rice
  • 1 stone ground whole-wheat loaf
And the grand total is......... a whopping $21 dollars!!!!

You don't have to be poor or within a certain income bracket or anything. You just have to sign up, and then return the kindness by "paying it forward" and doing community service. The service doesn't have to be related to the co-op, they just ask that you do something nice for someone else, or the community 2 hours a month (can anyone say visiting teaching?....). So there you go. I don't know if other states do this, but I think it's pretty darn amazing, don't you?

7 comments:

Mrs. Ordinary said...

Another reason I wish I was back in Utah!

Lizzie said...

Yes that is amazing! Thanks for letting us know!

Mrs. Haynie said...

does idaho do this?!

The Richardsons said...

I don't know if Idaho does it, but I wouldn't be surprised, you should try to google it or something.

randivon said...

We have a local group here in Texas that does it as well... only they do not have the community service addendum. But I like that better. I would participate if I felt like there was a way to pay it forward. Maybe I will just add that on as my own stipulation. :-)

Tiffany said...

you're going to have to help me out with how to do this when we get back! That's crazy amazing!

Lana said...

Yes, we have a couple of different co-op options here in Illinois and many members of our ward like to participate in it. I am curious to see if there is something like that in England!