Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Calling all Runners


K so my parents are taking our whole family to Cancun in November. We're leaving the kids behind and spending 8 days at a resort on the beach. It'll almost be the honeymoon we never had (St. George is hardly exotic...) and I am so excited except....... I'll be wearing a swimsuit. this is something I have tried to avoid as much as possible since Aliyah and even more so since Gavin, and I REALLY want to get in shape! So HELP! I really hate to run, but I can walk/run with the kids so it works but I've heard that the right gear makes all the difference (thanks Jayanne!). What shoes, clothes, sportsbras do you prefer when you run, and what are your favorite post-run snacks? I'm always famished when I get home but don't know what is best to eat after running. I know lots of you are pros at this, so clue me in! Also, any diet ideas that have helped you kick the baby pounds would help too!

8 comments:

randivon said...

First, Melissa, you are beautiful. I am amazed at every picture I see of you... you look really great! So, if you lose no pounds, you will still be one of the hot ones on the beach. Second, I am thinking about running again too... but I have not expert advice... just wearing multiple sports bras... so I will have to check the feedback you get and steal some of it for myself. :-)

HaLaine said...

Dude. I hate running. So bless your soul. I'd get one of those little trailers you pull behind a bike and do some biking. That's my exercise of choice!!

Mrs. Haynie said...

i agree with the above...you are beautiful. and im sad im too far away to work out with you. im currently on a diet/workout that is insane, but my favorite snacks and stuff i eat are the following: anything with cottage cheese and fruit, or i eat bananas with strawberries and granola, or make a smoothie, or fresh veggies dipped in hummus, fruit leather, almonds or other nuts..ultimate favorite is edamame..its so easy to buy it frozen and then pop in the microwave...
p.s. im going to cancun in january!

Cormorant said...

I'm preparing for a half-marathon later this month, and I've found a few things that really help me.
1. Running is SO much easier to do in the morning. This is true with children, since you can go before your hubby leaves and before the kids get up for the day. Also, when you see other people working out later in the day, you think, "Ha, so yoI'm already done!"
2. The only way that the first tip will work is to convince someone else to get up in the morning with you! Have a buddy, because on the days when it's so hard to wake up, you'll feel guilty enough to do it.
3. Don't just run every so often. This sounds weird, but if you're getting up early to run every other day, get up early the other days and swim or bike or do Yoga. It's easier for your body to get used to waking up early and doing physical exercise if you're consistent. I always find it harder to run if I only do it two or three times a week. But make sure to get enough rest and don't overdo it--especially at the beginning.
4. Make goals (distance or duration) and once you reach them, give yourself a reward (like a new sports bra, or a killer sweatband, or even a pedometer). These neat gadgets help me feel "decked out."
5. As far as eating, especially if you work out in the morning, I don't eat before I run (to prevent side-aches) unless I'm doing a long run--then I eat toast and an orange juice. When I return and am famished, I try to wait just a little bit (or I fall asleep until Ava wakes up) and then eat a hearty breakfast with lots of fiber and whole grains. I LOVE original Shredded Wheat or Grape Nuts. When I eat those with some strawberries and orange juice for breakfast, I'm seriously not hungry until the afternoon.
6. Be careful about your joints as long as you are nursing. Our bodies release some sort of hormone after babies are born and while nursing that makes joints (hips, knees, ankles) more susceptible to injury if you're not careful.

ANYWAY, now that I've written my OWN blog post about running, I'll let you go. Oh, and a final word, even though it's good to run with a friend (especially when you talk about hot topics that take your mind off of running), it's nice--once you're in the habit--to go by yourself and clear your mind. It's good to push yourself and feel your body move and work; it helps you remember why running is so therapeutic. Good luck!

whitney said...

yay! i LOVE running! i'm glad you're giving it a chance, because you might just learn to love it. :) becki gave awesome advice... i second that, especially the part about running in the morning and signing up for a race so you can have motivation. here are my additions:

1. shoes: you HAVE to get a good pair of running shoes... this is probably the most important thing. go to runners corner in orem on the corner of state and 800 south... they are fabulous. they will fit you to a pair that's perfect for you. you're probably going to spend between $80-100, but it's totally worth it. after you've found the right shoe fitted to you, buy your shoes from runningwarehouse.com. they have free 2 day shipping and and i hardly ever find anyone that beats their prices.

2. sports bra: i love the champion friction free running bra. here's the link for it on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Womens-Friction-Seamless-2149/dp/B000LUU6W6
it retails for $36 (a little pricey) but, again, totally worth it. target carries a champion sports bra that's a little less expensive, but it's not quite as supportive. a great alternative, though.

3. clothes: you just want to be comfortable. get some dry-release (technical fabric) clothes to run in so you can stay cool, but you don't have to spend a lot of money to get something that works well. go to target! they have good stuff for not very much. again, the champion brand is good. runningwarehouse.com usually has some good prices on running clothes, too.

4. food: i love bananas or granola bars before my runs because they don't upset my stomach. but everyone is different... you might have to experiment a little to see what works best for you. for after your run, i would go with what becki said, you really want to get whole grains and protein in you to give you sustainable energy. oh and drink LOTS of water.

5. diet: if you are looking for an actual diet, i would recommend weight watchers. they have an excellent support system, great education about the right kinds of food to eat and their point system takes in account the extra food you need for nursing. this has been the only diet that has worked for me personally while i've been training for marathons. on the couple of other diets i've tried, i always don't eat enough and then i don't have enough energy or i eat too much and then don't lose weight. weight watchers helps you to know exactly how much you need to sustain your activities and have enough energy while still losing the extra pounds.

wow, that was long. sorry. hopefully helpful, though. :)

ellen insights said...

Melissa, I don't have much great running advice. It looks like you already got a lot. I just wanted to offer words of encouragement. I am always trying to find the right exerize program for myself, and I know it makes a big difference if other are offering support. So Run, Girl, Run. I am eager to hear about your progress. I don't think I have your e-mail. Will you send me an e-mail. Then I can send you our blog info. ellengoldsborough@gmail.com

Geoff has an open blog that you can check out. It is www.montelloalpacacompany.blogspot.com

Lana said...

I love Nike cross-trainers for shoes. My favorite post-run snack... a peanut buster parfait from Dairy Queen... ha, just kidding. (actually I do love those things... which is why I have to run!) Seriously, I love spinach with strawberries and pecans for my post-run snack.

Good luck, and remember, start slow.

The Richardsons said...

Man, I KNEW you were the girls to ask! Thanks so much for all the advice, I feel much more prepared to get started. I really like Becki's idea of rewarding myself with new do-dads when I reach a goal and your snack ideas sound much better than my string cheese approach. Thanks everybody!