Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Umm, so we moved yesterday......


Surprised? Me too. A couple of weeks ago Gavin's doctor hinted that our prehistoric apartment might be the mystery behind his increasingly serious respiratory illnesses and suggested a change of residence. I was hoping that insurance would cover a modest beach house if we had a prescription for it, but it turns out I was being overly optimistic. Darn. Knowing we had to move, but not wanting to abandon our somewhat shabby but ridiculously inexpensive sanctuary, we began to consider our options and decidedly did nothing for about 3 weeks.
We finally came to the conclusion that my Mother-in-laws's new and flawlessly decorated basement apartment was the way to go until our grad school future is more certain. She was an absolute angel to offer it to us considering that Aliyah and Troy will make short work of her spotless walls and carpet. Our feet continued to drag (who has time to pack and move anyway???) until my Father-in-law lured us into action with the news that he had borrowed a trailer and could help us move over the weekend. Did I mention it was Friday when he called? Yeah, so we [literally] threw everything we owned into boxes, onto a trailer 2 days later, and now we're sittin' pretty on what looks like the Richardson Refugee Camp in my mom-in-law's basement. We never could have done it without the Michaleks (who packed, moved, and cleaned with us), Carolyn, Jay, Joanna, my parents, everyone who showed up to help load and unload the trailer, Taylor Watanabe & Natalie Stadelman (who came to help finish cleaning when I got food poisoning) and everyone else who my blown-out brain cells can't think of right now. Oh yeah, and a big, huge thank you to the University Parking Enforcement who booted our car while we were loading it to make sure we went out in style. Wasn't that thoughtful?

15 comments:

Tina, Brent and the boys said...

That was long over due! Congrats on the move, although, I foresee "In-law" counseling blogs in the near future...ha ha.


Got your comment, btw, regarding Rocky. Thank you. My email is TinaBurden@juno.com. Drop me a line, so I can enter you into my contact list just in case.

janaya said...

awwwwww. this kind of makes me want to cry a little. it's sort of like the end of an era or something. i pictured you raising your family in that tiny one bedroom, one closet, half kitchen, go-go-gadget movie theatre apartment. good times were had by all who squished on those couches. but seriously... sad! gavin schmavin. :P

Melissa said...

Now I really feel bad for never going over and visiting with you. I hope this place will help Gavin out. I can't believe that you got all moved in one weekend!

Jackie said...

What??? But that's YOUR place??? It just won't be the same...

Well I'm glad you had lots of help to make it work. And I'm so glad you got one last boot to remind you how much parking enforcement near campus bites.

Miss you guys!

Lizzie said...

They seriously booted your car?

The Richardsons said...

Yeah, lame huh? we were parked on the rear corner ofour apartment, and he said that that corner was officially part of Regency parking and even though we weren't on a red curb or a no parking zone, we weren't in a stall. I can't talk about it it makes me too mad! :)

HaLaine said...

I hate boots.
My brother and I decided that we want to buy four different car boots, follow a booter home, and boot all four of his tires and see how he feels.

Thirdly, congrats on the move. I had to move once to due to my Middle A's health. Turns out the previous apt. dwellers had snuck in cats and they left all sorts of "stuff" everywhere including the sub-flooring. She was continually sick until we left that place...
Hope Gavin gets better soon!

Mrs. Haynie said...

i didn't know you guys had to move! if i could have, i would have helped you :(..i left a message on your cell, but i want to know if you and troy are in town monday, september 22. brian and i will be down and i want to go out to dinner so you can meet him :) let me know!

The Richardsons said...

Hannah, your booting the booter idea is the best I've heard! If I weren't too poor to buy boots, I would be desperately tempted... Muahahaha. A friend who will remain nameless (you know who you are) told a booter once that if he had to pay for his boot he was going to get his money's worth one way or another. After the dude left he went to every parking lot patroled by that company and removed all their signs! I bet doing something so wrong never felt so good!

whitney said...

congrats on being DONE with the move! moving bites. i hope that gavin starts doing better in the new place.

Mrs. Haynie said...

yes, melissa, i have had to delete your comments recently. i found your language to be atrocious...and im so excited for dinner! your comment made me laugh so hard. i left it up on the computer so when brian gets home i can show him. hilarious.

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

Another day in the life of the Richardson family. Always abrupt and exciting. So does that mean you are living in Lehi???? will Troy be released from his missionary calling???I sure hope the move will help all involved. How many bedrooms do you have and what is you address??? We have had company for four days and had a family reunion here at the house because of the weather being chilly. My mother in law is 83 and fragile. So I had 35 people here which included 18 children. It was pure bedlum but everyone had a nice visit. Well, email me and fill me in on phone #'s and address. Much love to you all.
Love Bishop and Sister Lee

Anonymous said...

Yippee Lehi!! Now you're closer to us! We missed you on Thursday. We'll chat soon.

Tiffany said...

WE MISS YOU! WE MISS YOU GUYS SO MUCH ALREADY!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ughh, I hate moving. That's so nice thought that you had so much help. Horray for good friend and family.