Today I am feeling especially grateful for mortal Angels, and the ways they have profoundly touched my life in one moment of kindness and service. Mothers, Aunts, sisters, and grandmothers are all angels in our lives, but there is between family members a sort of sacred duty to reach out to one another that does not exist in our relationships with with whom we do not share that familial bond. These women have no inherent responsibility toward us, and yet they accept the responsibility to act when prompted, to serve when needed and to give without measure. I would like to thank a few of these angels, and share my gratitude with all who care to read.
Micaela Webb was in my ward when I miscarried my first baby at 3 months. The miscarriage happened on a sunday morning before church. After Sacrament Meeting, Micaela took one look at my red eyes and empty expression and new what had happened. She comforted me with a hug and quiet companionship, and then during the last hour of church, she and her husband Phil kidnapped Troy and helped him stock the fridge with my favorite foods, decorated the apartment with flowers, and put together dinner. She new just what I needed, and her empathy allowed me to sit and process my feelings in a way that made me feel understood but not intruded upon (as all who have had miscarriages can understand the importance of). Thank you Micaela.
Annette Wells was my neighbor when my pregnancy with Aliyah threatened to abort. No one in the neighborhood but her knew I was pregnant (a precaution we took after my miscarriage). The stress of preparing our church christmas dinner had caused me to begin cramping and bleeding as with my miscarriage. Troy was at work, and I laid on the couch, surrounded by unprepared food and crying. I called Annette and when she heard my voice, she came right over. She hugged me while I cried, then grabbed all the food and went back home and started cooking. She cooked the food, cleaned my house, and helped get everything ready for the dinner. She didn't ask, she simply DID. She picked up the pieces when it seemed that everything had fallen apart. Thank you Annette.
Janaya Rampton was in my ward when everything with Gavin happened. She was the compassionate service leader in the Relief Society at the time, and coordinated 2 1/2 months of meals for us. She went to the extent to plan a relief society enrichment meeting where the sisters prepared a month of frozen meals just for us! She and Burton brought us dinner in the hospital, and babysat Aliyah for us so we could go to the hospital to visit Gavin. More than that, I knew that no matter what, she would always be there to pray for me, cry for me, and support me in any way she could. That peace of mind is something that cannot be put into words. Thank you Janaya.
The Anonymous Nurse saw me through one of the darkest hours of my life. After our accident, my hospitalization, and days of trying to prevent the onset of my labor, Gavin was born. When he came out, Troy held him up for me to see, he cried once, and then was rushed away so the nurses and doctors could try to save his life. Troy and our families ran with them (as I told them to), and I was wheeled into my room. Before I knew it, I was absolutely alone in the dark, unsure whether my newborn son would live or die. Just as the full force of that emotion hit me, a nurse came into my room and straight to my bedside. She held me quietly while I sobbed and didn't let go until I was ready to face the future again. I never saw her again, but she was my angel in my gethsemane, and I will never forget her.
Elizabeth Michalek has been my friend for most of a decade, and has been through thick and thin, long and short with me. She is my "on-call" Angel. She has cleaned every apartment I have moved out of and into, has helped me pack more times than I can count, and has been my cheerleader through every success and trial. After our accident, she and her husband got out our christmas decorations and decorated our apartment since we would be unable to before christmas. She has always been there in every way I have needed her. Thanks Lizzie.
So many of you my blogging friends have been angels to me, and I am thankful to you all for your friendship and amazing examples. I am so blessed to be surrounded by such incredible people even when we are separated by thousands of miles. I am especially thankful for a heavenly father who always takes care of me and sends such fantastic people to help! Love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
This is a beautiful post Melissa! I love reading about those who helped in a serious time of need. Heavenly Father always seems to provide someone, doesn't he? And I know for sure that you are that someone to many others! Thank you for who you are!
I totally teared up when you talked about your angel nurse. That's why we go into nursing - we just want to be someone's angel! I hope that I have touched someone the way that nurse touched your life. Thanks for the beautiful post!
aww. i miss you! and that truly was one of the most rewarding times in my life. we've never prayed so much. arranging meals was the least i could do. and i hope you know how much everyone loved the opportunity to be touched by the miracle of gavin.
love you guys! wish we could hang out and chat til the wee hours of the night.
so very touching and you have been someone elses angel as well. Good thoughts Melissa
What a great post full of gratitude! It's amazing how when things are sometimes nearly unbearable, we're given blessings (and people) that help us endure.
Well now I am just sobbing. But I think I needed that. Thanks for the post... you are one of those angels too, ya know. I sure love you@! (The @ was because I was crying and could not see the keyboard... I was gonna take it out but decided to leave it for you.) :-)
Beautiful, and deeply humbling.
Post a Comment