And what did I see? Blue Jays. On the fridge, on the table, on the floor, the countertops and everywhere in between. The window and sliding glass door were wide open, peanuts scattered on every surface, and birds helping themselves to a very generous breakfast.
We had a great time watching them feast and fight over the peanuts, figured out which ones were bold and daring, and which were cautious. Who needs television when you can experience the Nature Channel live in your own house?
We watched them until we had to take Troy to church for a meeting, then closed up shop and took off. A few minutes after we got back, I was fixing Aliyah’s hair when Gavin came charging in, saying there was a bird hurt in the kitchen.
I ran in to find that one poor little bird had come in through the window I had forgotten to close and didn’t know how to get back out again. The poor thing had hit its head on the sliding glass door and was standing disoriented on the rug. “Lucky” for the bird, Gavin had taken the time to try and “comfort” it with kisses and petting. The little thing was terrified.
So we let it rest, I gently helped it out the door and it recuperated on the porch until it was once again ready for flight. We cheered when it flew away, glad our generosity hadn’t killed anyone. I love living with nature right in our backyard!

No comments:
Post a Comment