Friday morning we got a long-awaited surprise. The doctor on rotation told us that they had over-estimated the amount of antibiotic doses Logan would need before going home, and that we were free to go home as soon as he passed his audiology test.
Wahoo!
I called Troy, made arrangements with his mom and step-mom for getting ourselves ready and tending to Aliyah and Gavin, and flew around in a flurry getting things ready. By 1:00 we were all set to go… or so we thought. After a week full of hang-ups, the powers that be weren’t going to let us go so easily.
We went through the fanfare, said goodbye to our nurses and took our leave of the NICU in grand style. We got down to the car (our brand new Dodge Grand Caravan) and realized (belatedly) that the car seat we had for Logan would not fit the seats of our new car. What the???
So guess what? Troy’s mom and I got to make a frantic trip to Target to buy a new car seat, and Troy got to hang out in the lobby with all our stuff and the baby.
To top off a now exceptionally frustrating afternoon, while I was stressing out at Target, Troy was –get this—being hassled by the hospital security for being a possible baby-snatcher. Some well-meaning soul had reported a “suspicious man with a baby” to security because he wasn’t wearing his wrist band.
Luckily the nurses on the second floor vouched for him, but by the time I showed up with the new car seat, we were neither of us in a very celebratory mood.
By the time we got home, we had both cooled down and it was so nice to just be HOME. The kids spent one last night at Grandma’s and Troy and I got to enjoy the baby and each other in peace and quiet.
Logan has done wonderfully since being home, and we are so excited to be out of limbo and finally able to start being a family of 5.

3 comments:
Glad you guys made it home. He is so cute, I can't wait to come meet him.
I love that you are blogging so much these days! I can't believe about the car seat how is that possible?
So I just caught up on your whole blog...I'm horrible at updating mine. BUT...man! You guys have been through alot but it looks like everything came down to one CUTE baby boy! Congrats! Wish we could see him sooner...but we'll be there at Christmas with ours as well...then him and Jake can meet! So excited for y'all!
Post a Comment