Friday, January 25, 2008

How much is that Baby in the window?

Trips to the hospital lately have reminded me of when I was a little girl, and I used to squish my nose to the glass of the local pet store and stare wistfully at the puppies and kittens I wanted so badly to take home with me. Many years have passed since then, but not much has changed. Every day I go to the hospital, ride to the 5th floor, walk down the hall, and squish my nose to the glass outside Gavin's incubator area. He is looking so good these days! They have him in a little preemie kimono robe and he looks so cute. He also has his face back now that they have been able to take him off the ventilator and the billy lights. My parents went in to see him the other day and were amazed at how well he is doing and how good he looks now. I have been tempted to go in and see him, and some nurses have told me that I should be ok to go in, but I am terrified to risk getting him sick. Another preemie in the NICU was life-flighted to Primaries the other day because he caught RSV from someone visiting the NICU. Last we heard, they weren't sure he was going to make it. So, paranoid or not, I think I will stick to "window shopping" until things have cleared up around our house :) (This picture is courtesy of a very nice nurse who took my camera in and snapped some photos of Gavin for me so I could see him "up close")

15 comments:

HaLaine said...

What a little sweetie...I am amazed every day by his progress and think of you guys often...hang in there!!

HaLaine said...

AND, lest I jinx it by commenting, but it looks as though he did get the sticky-up-hair gene from Dad and DARK HAIR FROM YOU!! AWESOME!

Darbee said...

Gavin looks SO great in that picture! I'm sure it's so hard not to go in there and just hold him...but I wouldn't risk it either. I'm glad things are going a bit better! Thanks for the update!

janaya said...

he looks so good!!!! that's seriously all i can say... he just looks so great. and he looks like a richardson! i love it. :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet boy! I love all the dark hair. Aside from the tubes you would never know how tiny he is!

Cormorant said...

We're so glad to hear that things are going so well right now. You are an example to us all! Thanks for your faith and patience. He is such a cute kid!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, he looks like the Hernandez/Seron side of the family. All that black hair. He is a doll. My heart aches for you not being able to go in. You are very smart to wait. Good thoughts are being send to you and your wonderful family. Love you all, Aunt Linda

MossWorld said...

Gosh, he looks GREAT! This baby looks like you Melissa! Lve you guys - Evan and Heather

Emily said...

We are so happy that Gavin is making progress. Ashlyn is learning to pronounce Gavin Richardson better and better in her daily prayers. Take care.

Tina, Brent and the boys said...

Wow! Go Gavin, Go Gavin...
I love that hair! He looks so healthy, Melissa! We are so glad to hear about his progress, I update my classmates about him all the time. The boys love to read your blog, they can't believe how little he is.
PS go ahead and be paranoid, he's safer that way if you are...

ryan said...

Wow! Gavin looks amazing - we are so happy for the progress he is making! You're still in our prayers - we love you!

Mike and Nicole said...

He is getting cuter and cuter. What a sweetie. I hope everyone feels better soon!

Dan The Man said...

He's Ma SPECIAL BOY!!.....he's gonna be a little ripper meliss, i hope you are prepared for that. But of course he has his uncle Daniel for tips. haha

Pamlee48@cs.com said...

Hi there, It was so sweet to hear that you finally got to hold GAvin. He is starting to chub up. he is adorable and we are so thankkful for all the prayers that you have had answered. What a blessing to see all of this and to watch your faith and love grow.
Love Bishop and Sister Lee

M said...

Melissa, I can't even imagine. We are so grateful for the updates. Your testimony, strength, courage, good humor and spirit shine through all your posts. You are absolutely incredible! What a great mother Aliyah and Gavin have!We are so glad to hear that Gavin is doing so well- he would, his father is a roman. We are praying for your family and are so thrilled things are improving. He is such a miracle. We love you.