Monday, January 14, 2008

Our first step back


Well, after more than a week of nothing but progress, we have finally taken our first step back. Yesterday while we visited, Gavin seemed uncomfortable and was fidgety and grouchy. Then when I was with him last night, his oxygen levels dropped precariously and after testing some other options, they finally switched him back to the ventilator. His little upset body seemed to relax after that, and we had been expecting to go back and forth on the ventilator so we weren't too worried and called it a night. Unfortunately, the actual problem was a little bit more serious than we realized. His pic line is a line that goes in through his hand and up his arm into a vessel just above his heart. For an unknown reason, the pic had either punctured or ruptured the vessel and the fluid that was supposed to be going through the vessel had begun to fill the cavity surrounding his lungs. Once that was discovered, they removed the pic and used a needle and syringe to extract the fluid from his chest. He is recovering well from the incident, but they let us know that it would take about a week for his body to really recuperate from the overall trauma. It is a little daunting that a week of progress can be so quickly undone in one day, but we knew that this is how it would be so we just keep plugging along through the ups and downs. When all is said and done, we just have to count our blessings and hope for a better day tomorrow! :)

10 comments:

M said...

We're praying for you and for little Gavin. We love you!

April said...

Things will get better Melissa. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Melissa and Troy, Sorry to read about the set back. Gavin is a fighter and will bounce back soon. How many inches long is he? Your apartment looks so cute. You have so many special people in your life you are truly blessed. Aunt Linda

Des said...

I had no idea what was going on! I wish you didn't live so far away because I really, really want to give you a big hug right now. Our prayers are with you and Gavin. I will be calling you soon!
Love, Des

Jackie said...

We're praying for you too.

You can do it, little guy!!

Jackie said...

We're praying for you too.

You can do it, little guy!!

Lizzie said...

Heather and Ryan mentioned your situation on their blog (this is Lizzie Landon, by the way)--we will be praying, praying, praying for all of you, especially little Gavin.

HaLaine said...

Holy mackerel. Prayers keep coming...

Carrie said...

I am a friend of Missy & Jared, and she has told me about your little baby! I am soooo sorry you have to go through this! I had a preemie baby almost 6 months ago, at 32 weeks so not as early as your little guy! But the up and down of the NBICU is horrible! One day is good, one is bad and most are OK. Hang in there and ASK for any help you need from those around you!

Kimbur said...

You guys are such an inspiration to me! I can't believe the positive attitude that you have! Thank you so much for your example.