In the random, quiet moments where I've been able to just sit and try to absorb everything past, present, and future, I've come to terms with one very important thing. I realized that my whole life I have lived under an illusion that has made life "easier" and more difficult in many ways. The illusion is this: That since I know God wants me to be happy, I have a justifiable right to expect health, happiness, and prosperity from the world around me. The Truth? God wants me to find happiness in HIM, through the life I have been sent here to experience.
The reality of the matter is that Gavin is no different from Aliyah. There are no guarantees, only that regardless of what tomorrow brings, the Lord will be by our side. We must treasure, and be grateful for what we have today and work hard to abandon the illusion that keeps us from embracing the true source of our strength. We are still scared out of our skin for what the future could hold for our son, but we have been filled with such peace and assurance through so much prayer (ours and all of yours) that there is no doubt in our minds that regardless of what comes our way, everything will be alright. And that helps us see things just a little more clearly.
Gavin Update: Good news! He is officially off the ventilator and can have one of those little nose oxygen thingys now. He is also done with photo therapy (for jaundice) and shows no signs of infection so they are taking him off antibiotics. He is set to have an echocardiogram (heart scan) today to check and see if his ticker has closed off the hole that babies use in the womb. If not, he'll start medication for that soon. The main concern is still that his brain will continue to develop without any bleeding, so we pray for that. Over and out!

16 comments:
i just love you.
I am a friend of Kimbur's, and don't know your family. But I stumbled onto your blog the other day, and I just wanted you to know that as a mother,I, too, am praying for you and little Gavin. I am so impressed by your faith and your strength, and I hope everything goes well for your family.
All I ever prayed for when you were growing up was that you would know that you had a Heavenly Father who was by your side no matter what, through thick and thin. I am so proud and honored to be your mother and friend. You are such a blessing in our lives.
Mom
All I ever prayed for when you were growing up was that you would know that you had a Heavenly Father who was by your side no matter what, through thick and thin. I am so proud and honored to be your mother and friend. You are such a blessing in our lives.
Mom
Sounds like Gavin is doing well. We are still praying for your little family. It sounds like you have such a great perspective on this experience. TJ wanted to let you know that he wants to quote you in his talk on Sunday (about how your testimony has helped you through your trials) if that's ok with you. We hope and pray for the best for you, Troy, Aliyah and Gavin.
Amber and TJ
Hey Troy and Melissa, this is Ryan and Aubrey Cox. You probably don't remember us but we were in your ward a few years ago. Believe it or not, I still remember things from your Sunday School class. I just found your blog on Monday through links from my sister-in-laws site (Traci and Gary Huntington are in your ward). I want you to know that I we have been thinking about you and praying for you. Gavin is so cute! The Lord loves you!!! We will continue to pray for you all.
Ryan and Aubrey
I was thinking about this all day yesterday after I read your post because it really touched me. What wonderful insight - thanks for sharing! Being pregnant has opened up a whole new world of living in fear for me. Embracing learning experiences like this are the thing that will help me to live in and find happiness in the moment.
Let us know how the heart scan goes.
Wow, he is a little miracle that one. Great things are in store for him. Hang in there! We are always thinking of you guys and praying for you, and thank you so much for continuing to post so we can stay connected...
You guys have so much faith. What a touching and humbling experience this has been for us as your friends. May we all learn from your words!
Cam, Kelli, and Allie
We are still thinking of you guys and hoping and praying for the best for Gavin. He seems like a strong little boy! Let us know if you need anything. We live near by and I (Traci) am usually home all day.
-The Huntingtons
Hi Troy and Melissa, Congrats on your beautiful baby boy! He must be a strong little guy. We are so grateful that he is doing so well so far. We will keep you in our prayers. You are so amazingly strong. We love you! Duane and Peggy
You are amazing. We're cheering for you and little Gavin. What a relief to know we're all in Good Hands, eh?
Thank you for your words of faith and courage. Keep going! We love you!
Melissa, you made me cry. You are wise beyond your years. My love to you all, so glad to read about all the good news on Gavin. Thank you for sharing this part of your life. Much Love, Aunt Linda
What a testamony builder. Your attitude is an example to every one of us. Gavin couldn't have come to a better family. We love you
Post a Comment