Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Thousand Words


Troy & Gavin
To put size into perspective, that is a
Bandaid wrapped around his right arm
His first bath- and boy is he mad :)

Gavin's new home

Gavin Richardson
Born January 5, 2008
4:50 pm
2 lbs, 1 oz
Update: While the doctors and nurses in the NICU are very careful to remind us that we are far from being in the clear, we are told time and time again that he is doing unusually well for a baby of his size and age. He had an ultrasound on his brain today to check for bleeding or other damage (from the accident or delivery) and we were so relieved when they let us know that they found no sign of either. Again, they reminded us that some problems cannot be seen until they show up developmentally later on, but every test that comes back positive is a very good sign. Like his sister, he seems to be a Richardson through and through because he is so energetic and wiggly that they have had to sedate him twice to keep him from accidentally pulling out his tubes with all his movement. It's hard not being able to hold him or even really touch him, but our gratitude at his being alive outweighs our dissappointment. We are so grateful for the amazing technology and staff that make it possible for him to have a chance at life, and we feel so much peace knowing that he is well taken care of in the Lord's hands.






24 comments:

Pamlee48@cs.com said...

Hi there,
It was so awesome to see little Gavin. He is adorable and much bigger than I expected. WE have a gal that grew up to us and her folks are dear friends of ours that is helping with Gavin. Her name is Natalie Boss now. She is very sweet and will take good care of him. Best wishes to you and I will be in touch to see how the meals are doing there at the Richardsons. Is your home ward scheduling meals? Take care and thanks for the update.
Love Bishop and Sister Lee

Jackie said...

What a handsome boy! We're so happy the doctors are pleased with is progress. Keep it up, little guy!

He's bigger than I thought he'd be too--does he work out?

joshandemily said...

Gavin is so sweet. Melissa-you look amazing! Good Job. How are you feeling??? We are so glad that things are going as well for you as they are. You guys deserve the very best.

Josh & Emily

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We are so proud of you Melissa, what a beautiful little son. Please sing "Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so" to Gavin for me. I was able to sing that to all three of my grandsons when they were first born. Eric was 3 lbs 15 ozs. That was 13 years ago. The doctors and nurses are so much smarter now about premies. I thank God for them. We are so so happy for you guys. Take care of yourself Melissa, by the way you look great! Love you guys, Aunt Linda

Anonymous said...

Ohh,thank you for the update! Your family is on our thoughts all day. We love you and are so grateful for the blessing of your baby Gavin.
The Butterfields

Darbee said...

I know it's probably random that I keep commenting on you blog, but we just love Laurie...which makes us love you...and your story has touched me so much, as I am a mother, too. I can't imagine what you guys have and continue to go through. Your faith has been incredible, and I am so touched and strengthened by you! Congratulations, you guys! What a beautiful little baby boy! Our prayers are with you and wishing you all the best! Good Luck!
Love, Darbee and Zach Beynon
(friends from Orchard.)

randivon said...

Melissa, I am in awe that you were able to deliver this cute little boy so early. You and he are both miracles! Thank you for the pictures! I am glad that things are looking bright and that he is a bundle of energy for you. Love you guys!
~Randi

Robnz Fam said...

Dear Richardson Family,
This is Carrol Robins. Seth was the second counselor in the 185th (I think that was the ward :0) ) when your family came in. Sister Lee told me about your blog address and I'm so happy that Melissa is doing so well and that your little boy is doing better than expected. I was so sorry to hear about the wreck and early labor! Your family is in our prayers! Please let me know what I can do for you. I'm sure that you have been blessed with more than enough help, but we'd love to help in anyway too. I can babysit your daughter for you anytime in the evenings as I read earlier that you may need. I know that Melissa will be home now, but just in case, I can do that. Please let me know if I can bring meals or anything as well.
We have a blog too. We will email you an invite to it. If you get a second you can email us at sethcarrol@yahoo.com with your email address and the things that you may need.

I look forward to hearing from you when you get a chance!
Love, The Robins Family

Anonymous said...

Melissa and Troy,
You guys are AMAZING! Hope all continues to go well.

Love,
Loni Waggener

Brock said...

Thanks for the updates!

whitney said...

he's so beautiful he made me cry. seriously. hang in there guys. we love you.

Tina, Brent and the boys said...

He looks great! Wow, it's amazing how small a person can be!
Glad to hear he is thriving!

April said...

Hi Baby Gavin! What a beautiful baby! You are an amazing/tough woman to finally get through with this process since the accident.

Anonymous said...

Melissa & Troy,
I was shocked to come back to school and hear about your accident and the early birth of Gavin. I'm keeping you all in my prayers. I know God is watching over your family. If you need a babysitter on Thursday nights or Saturdays, let me know. I would love to do any thing I can for you. Your family is such a blessing to our ward.
Love, Melissa Aurich

Brady and Rachel said...

You don't know us, but Missy Fox taught our boys tumbling when we lived in Utah. I saw her post to pray. Just wanted to let you know that our prayers will be with your little boy. We wish you the very best. The Lord is miraculous as is your little Gavin. We also hope and pray Melissa is recovering well too. My cousin went through a similar experience with her baby coming many weeks early because of a car accident. He is healthy and strong (now I believe at least seven years old). Best wishes.

Mike and Nicole said...

Congratulations you guys, he's beautiful! We hope everything continues to go well.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Richardson Family! We love you and hope things continue to progress wonderfully! Please let us know if there is anything we can do!

Jen and Michael Fong

M said...

Oh!- WE LOVE YOU!! We're just getting back into the normal routine and schedule and are getting caught up. Our prayers are with you. I'm just sitting here reading this- wanting to give you big hugs! Congratulations! What a miracle! We love you!! We love the name by the way.

MossWorld said...

Oh my goodness - how much we love him already. Congratulations you two. We think of you every day. Lots of love - Evan and Heather

Missy said...

What a sweet boy! When you are ready for some entertainment let us know Jared and I are excited to see you guys. Thank you for the pictures. Gavin looks like he got Melissa's height.=) How is the big sister doing with all this? Take care you are in every prayer. Cade even remembers to bless Gavin. Love you guys!

Pamlee48@cs.com said...

Hi there, We hope Melissa is doing well with being at home. Is Aliyah at home as well? I hope everything is going well with GAvin. Have you met our friend Natalie that works in teh NUIC? anyways we'd love to hear how everything is going with everyone in your little family. We think of you constantly and wonder how you are. tAke care and know we love you.
Love Bishop and Sister Lee

Anonymous said...

Wow! i couldnt believe it! hannah told me what happened. you are in my thoughts and prayers. Gavin looks like such a little angel!!!

HaLaine said...

OH MY GOSH HOW AMAZING! I am so happy that things are going as well as can be expected. He is beautiful, even in his tininess and we are continually praying for you guys!!!

Skyler said...

He's a beautiful miracle. Congratulations -- you are in our prayers!!
Sky 'n Kar