Monday, March 17, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Right now I am blogging through half-shut eyes in apartment 1 on the NICU floor. Tonight is the last night Gavin will spend in the only home he has known during the two and a half months of his life. We must run this last gauntlet of proving we can handle him and all his gear by sleeping here in the hospital in a room with him and seeing how we do. It's been about 2 hours so far, and the monitors have gone off twice already. Talk about a heart attack. The alarm emits a high pitched beeping I'm sure can be heard in the outer reaches of space. I wonder how long the Richman's (our next door neighbors with whom we share a bedroom wall) will be on speaking terms with us after we bring our little time-bomb home. Troy is under quarantine at home with a fever tonight and I am doing my best not to crash and burn on my own over here. I can't wait to get started on having a somewhat normal life again, but the responsibility of everything that entails is overwhelming when I spend too much time thinking about it. We have come so far, and still have a lifetime to go (which is more than we thought possible at times) and it all begins tomorrow! Wish us luck!

11 comments:

Jackie said...

We're so happy he's coming home, but we know this must be overwhelming!! We're on call if you ever need a DVD, a snack, a breather, or just a sanity break.

You're all in our prayers--you can do this!

randivon said...

Wow... that is amazing that he is coming home. You all are such troopers and amazing at that! Good luck with the little one at home. You will do great!

Cormorant said...

What a great day that will be when you get to have Gavin with you! Congrats and good luck. (And I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it to your open house the other weekend. I was sick and didn't want to infect anyone!)

Darbee said...

GOOD LUCK!!! I am SO excited that you guys are able to get that little guy home! He truly is a MiRaClE! I hope everything goes well with the transition. Good Luck, and Congratulations!

Mike and Nicole said...

I'm so glad to hear that he will be coming home! My cousin had twins when she was only 26 weeks along and watching her with her kids was amazing. It really was a miracle. Now, they are two very energetic 3 year olds. We hope the transition goes well.

Anonymous said...

We will be praying for your strength to come on full speed. It is an overwhelming experience but you just take it slow and easy and you will do just fine. You have a huge support system so use your system. That is what is for. You have gone through so much but what a joyful day to know that he is alive and well and you get to be his parents here on earth. Take care and give us updates often.
Love Bishop and Sister Lee

April said...

Nathan and I are very happy for you. You are an amazing woman to get through all of these. You've shown the world how lucky he is to have a mom like you.

Missy said...

Yeah for you guys and Gavin. Just put a bubble over Troys' head to he doesn't pass his germs to the little man. I'm so glad things are going so well. You are always in our prayers.

Pam said...

WoW! ToMorRoW!!! SO... don't you think for one minute that we were all there to help while Gavin was in the hospital and now we're all going to disappear into never never land since he's coming home!!! You better let me know what you need! I hope Bro. Richardson starts feeling better!

MossWorld said...

Oh my gosh! Good luck guys - you will be great. We can't wait for you to find your new "normal" life! Love you so much!
Evan, Heather, Alex, Syd and Liz

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to here Gavin is coming home. God is so wonderful! My friends and church will still be praying for all of you. You can do what ever is needed with God's help. I Love you, Aunt Linda