Monday, September 22, 2008

Love-Hate, Hate-Love...


"The problem with Costco is that you go in for toilet paper, and leave with a canoe"
-Overheard outside Costco

That pretty much explains my turbulent emotional relationship with the almighty Costco. As an establishment, I really have no bone to pick with these guys and I'm a huge fan of free sample hour. But in essence, it seems to emit the aura of a wholesale version of Pandora's box. People in that place run about snatching up chocolate-covered-almonds and bushels of apples like it's the end of the world. Have you noticed that rules of the road do not apply in Costco-land? The only form of protection they give you against other shoppers is your semi-truck trailer sized shopping cart. I have been sideswiped so manytimes by runaway customers I now consider it part of the experience. I think there should be a weight limit put on those carts too. I once had my cart so full of food (for a church party) that I honestly could only maneuver it by holding on tight and throwing my entire weight to one side or the other. And forget about stopping it, people just jumped out of the way when they saw my cart rolling down the aisle dragging me behind it. To top off the experience, you get herded into stalls like sheep, sheared to the skin ( sometimes I think "wholesale" is idiot-code for "overpriced") and then ushered out single-file down the gate. I've given up shopping at costco to save money (no amount of money is worth the pandemonium) but I still go every now and again to feel like I'm living on the edge, and for those chocolate-covered almonds......

11 comments:

whitney said...

haha. so true. you should try our costco here in sunnyvale, ca. it's been the most ridiculous and frustrating part of my entire existence here in california. in fact, of late, i've been contemplating blogging about my experiences there... but you beat me to the punch. maybe i'll still do it... i think everyone has a love-hate relationship with costco, as you put it. :)

Lana said...

To Costco or not to Costco? That is the question. Did you know there is a Costco in England?! It is the one and only gateway to those beloved American products such as peanut butter and maple syrup... so tonight as I fed my family waffles with fruit on top and listened to the barrage of "hey, don't we have any syrup?" I am actually contemplating a trip there myself... what do you say?

The Richardsons said...

I say syrup for waffles is a must, maybe even an American right. You know, the pursuit of life, liberty and syrup for waffles. I say fight the good fight and get some waffles!

The Richardsons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina, Brent and the boys said...

You made me laugh during this bad day I am having. Thank you, Melissa.

FYI- Brent & I are there minimum once per week. With 3 boys, we buy in bulk! Plus, they get free lunch - ala samplers!

Lizzie said...

Thats so funny I was going to call you the day you posted this and see if you wanted me to add you to our Sams Club membership. But your post made me re-think an offer that I thought would be nice.

Anyway, we can add you if you want another place to have similar experiences

Mrs. Haynie said...

dinner was so fun melissa! when brian has to decide where we raise our kids someday ill whisper every night in his ear, "next to melissa and troy," and then when he wakes up he will have no idea his sudden thought to live near you came from me. he he he (said in an evil cackle)...btw, brian is in love with aliyah. that night he kept saying how adorable she is. and i agree :)

the Wight's said...

Costco is my friend.

HaLaine said...

Hey Melissa! We're going private...will you send me your email and I'll add ya as a reader?

Thanks!
hannahbaker1@gmail.com

Lana said...

I had to re-visit to tell you about my parents and their $2,000 Costco pickles. Yes, they fell victim to the plot and went into Costco last week for a jumbo-sized jar of pickles and left with a set of $2,000 leather furniture!

The Richardsons said...

Well, that's Costco for ya! Tell your parents that next time they should stick with the canoe, I think they're cheaper :)