Saturday, March 14, 2009

I think it's time for a pool. . .

Aliyah has been a water lover from the day she was born, and as determined as she is, she never lets anything get in the way of her plans for a day at the pool. Many of you remember her first resourceful swimming expedition in the nearest toilet.
Not one to be easily deterred, she turned to the bathroom sink (knowing from mom's last reaction that the toilet was absolutely off-limits), and splish-splashed to her heart's content until she was discovered.
After learning her lesson about sink-swimming, she took to just wearing her swimming suit around the house and telling me about her plans to go to the pool. So last night there was nothing unusual in seeing her dressed up in her suit, and hearing her little voice calling out joyfully "I'm swimming! I'm swimming!" from the other room. When I went to check on her, I found that she had emptied a few water bottles into the carpet and was rolling around in the wet spot "swimming." I was trying too hard not to bust out laughing to punish her, and rather impressed with her resourceful determination. That aside, now that warmer weather may be upon us, it may be time for a pool. . .

13 comments:

Cheryl and William said...

That is HILARIOUS! You definitely can't be mad when she is being so creative and resourceful. I do think one of those little kiddie pools should do the trick

janaya said...

not to doubt your child's intellect or anything, but wouldn't the bathtub be the most logical solution to her swimming pool dilemma? :)

that is one cute little kid right there.

Jackie said...

Ha! I love the carpet-puddle idea. Pure genius.

randivon said...

So your comment about Aliyah and Mary sharing a room at BYU just made me smile at the thought. It is such a fun thing to envision! And your daughter is quite resourceful. This is just great!

Lucie said...

She is so cute! I tell ya, I'm thankful we have hardwood floors!!

heather said...

This is a riot! I love the seal pose as she's trying to swim on the carpet ... reminds me of those silly birthday party games where you have to flop across the room like a seal. Why was I friends with that kid again? Oh well ... good times. :)

The Richardsons said...

Good question Janaya, and the answer is that our basement apartment bathroom is sadly lacking in bathtub-ware. The kids do get to do baths occasionally upstairs, but they mostly have to suffer through the daily shower. Maybe we'll set up the kiddie pool in the shower and remedy that little problem...

James said...

You have a very clever child! If I had a brain reading machine I would choose to listen to the brain of a Aliyah for one day.

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

Imagination, imagination! Wowee Zowee what a little character she is. We hope all that applies as she enters school. How precious and I am so happy you have such a great sense of humor.

Jared and Jessica said...

Looks like you have your hands full with that one! What a smart girl! It's hard not to laugh isn't it?! Nathan would LOVE the Heber Creeper. Good idea!!! Have you guys done it?

Cormorant said...

Ha ha. Yikes! Man that girl has some serious creativity.

Kimbur said...

That looks completely familiar!

Mrs. Haynie said...

that just made me laugh so hard!!!!