Sunday, April 19, 2009

Tidbits

In the world of Baking:

I got a fun mini-egg cake form on sale the day before Easter and made these cute eggs for dessert. I thought they turned out very cheery :)






After much frustration, I finally got my whole wheat sourdough starter to work! Yahoo! It only took me 7 tries, but it is worth it! I've been studying up on the health benefits of sourdough vs. quick-rise breads and commercial yeast breads and it is amazing what a little starter fermentation can do to help your body absorb and breakdown the nutrients in whole wheat! I still have some experimenting to do to get it just exactly how I want it, but I'm in the home stretch now!

In the world of Exercise:
Thanks to all your fantastic advice, the last few months I have actually taken up running.... for Fun! I never in a million years thought I would say those words. I have always maintained a firm No-Run policy, to the extent that I traded in my Fight-or-Flight instict for an Unconditional Surrender policy. Now I not only love the challenge and the health benefits, but I enjoy running. I'm not very good/fast yet, my best effort was a 27 minute 5k, but I'm not giving up!

In the world of Aliyah:

The result of all my running is that I have lost 9 lbs, and it's finally noticeable. I was feeling pretty proud of myself until after my shower, Aliyah started poking my stomach with her fingers and a very confused look on her face. Finally she looked up at me and said "Mom, I think there's water in there!" (referring to the squishiness) I guess there's nothing like a two year old to readjust your motivation!






8 comments:

Amber said...

A 5K in 27 minutes is less than a 9 minute mile - I think that's awesome! Way to go!

Kimbur said...

5k in 27 minutes is awesome Melissa! When I was at my best i ran the 5k in 29 minutes! you rock girl!

Lucie said...

27 min is definetly not bad! I was actually thinking about how I need to start running agin last night. You might just have tipped my motivation enough to actually do it.

Mrs. Haynie said...

good job with the running melissa! and i love aliyah's comment. kids are so hilarious..

John & Tresa Martindale said...

dont you let that little stinker getcha down! 9 pounds is great and a 5 k in 27 min. puts you in rock star status!! And best of all.. you successfully nurtured and grew a sourdough start!! Dang all I could ever grow was mold, even with the penicillin benefit I gave up on such complex baking. Oh and the cookies are a pure dream. Too cute to eat. You are amazing. Love you!
auntie tre.

Anonymous said...

I think you're amazing! You're not alone with the "reality check" that little kids give, Chloe keeps patting my tummy saying "there's a baby in there". Argh!
Just keep up what you're doing, miss ya tons!

Mantis said...

Where does one find instructions for a sourdough wheat starter?

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

wow your cakes look amazing and congratulations on the running. I wish my knees could take it but once in our new home there are walking paths everywhere. I need to get it off