Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Splash of COLOR


Well I can officially check one more thing off my "bucket-list." This weekend Troy and I went with Cam and Kelli Andersen to the Festival of Color at the Krishna Temple. It was the experience of a lifetime! It is the Hindu tradition for welcoming in spring, and in our opinion, a tradition worth keeping and passing on. Words can simply not portray the vibrance of the color, the exotic scent of the powder, the music, and the childish exhiliration of throwing color at perfect strangers.

We arrived early to enjoy a few hours of color splashing up near the temple, then went down to the pavilion for the big moment. With thousands of people gathered on the hill, they counted down from 20 to 1, when everyone released their powder at the same time. I took more pictures than I could ever post, but here are some of my favorites, from beginning to end.... (see if you can spot where I made my face an iconic graphic image on some unsuspecting kids tee-shirt)





6 comments:

Cheryl and William said...

That looks like so much fun! I've never done it before so I might have to try and find some place to try it out :-)

Mrs. Haynie said...

that explains why i saw so many people covered in i don't know what on saturday while we were in provo for the day. there were purple people everywhere! ive always wanted to go to that...sounds so fun!

Angi.Mima said...

Looks like so much fun! I am so sad we couldn't go.

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

that was WILD!!!! thanks for the movie because I have heard people speak of it but had no idea it was like that!! How did you ever get it out of your hair??

Dave said...

You should really call it a Life-List. A bucket-list makes it sound like you are planning on dying soon.

My question: How did the colors taste?

The Richardsons said...

Good point Dave...and in case anyone is concerned, I am not planning on dying soon, though it never hurts to be prepared! That's the Mortician's daughter in me talking. Anyway, the powder was scented with rosewater I think so it tasted like rose-scented baby powder. It smelled a lot like old ladies, and the taste was similar to giving your grandma a big smooch on the cheek. How's that for descriptive? ;)