I started writing because once upon a time I was good at it, and found that regardless of current talent, I LOVE WRITING! I find myself daydreaming about my characters all the time, and I'm sure that the people I live with are sick of hearing about them. I'll crawl into bed at night and say to Troy, "You will never guess what just happened to my heroin! She is so amazing!" to which Troy responds with the courteous "Oh, yeah?" that I give him when he starts his gun-speak. I have been really embarrassed to tell anyone, because I was afraid of what people would say or think, and that it would be embarrassing if I never got published but still called myself a "writer."
This weekend I went to a writer's conference in American Fork, and got totally called out on my unwillingness to claim my passion for writing by another student of my teacher who has now published multiple books. She said. "Sometimes admiting you're a writer feels like telling people you think you're a princess. Who cares?! Tell people anyway. If you don't treat yourself like a writer, you'll never be one, and you'll NEVER get published. " So, here I am, telling all the people in my known world that I love to write, and whether or not I am ever published, I LOVE writing this book, and blog posts may be fewer and further between until I'm finished with it. Whew. That feels better.
This is a pic of me, Vicki from my group, and our teacher Caleb Warnock at the conference.

9 comments:
Melissa- that is so great!! You really do have such a talent for writing- I'm proud of you for making the time to pursue it!! And I would love to read your work someday :-) Way to go!!
Hooray! That's wonderful! Hope you keep at it and let me read it some day! :)
This is like admitting you're an alcoholic, but without all the self-destructive behavior!
Way to be, Melissa. Best of luck with the novel!
Awesome! I can't wait to see your name in print! :)
im loving this! i just finished taking a children's book publishing/writing class at byu-i and learned so much. in hopes of someday writing that children's book i want to write...guess i will have to wait til after this baby comes :) im so proud of you melissa! and can't wait to read your first novel. hey i should write a children's book about the mean mr. hernandez who would tell me that cops were coming after me, or that i was going to die from lead poisoning cuz i licked a pen. perfect plot!
I am so happy you came out of the closet because you have a God-given talent and we are admonished to share our talents aren't we??? so hip hip horray and we look forward to your talents being exposed
Oh Sweet Melissa how PERFECT! I'm always (and I mean always) impressed and energized when I read what you have to say! Perfect! You go you princess you!
Love you and can't wait to see/read what's coming :D
I have to say (1) Congrats! So exciting to find something you love and develop that talent! And (2) I am not suprised. I am always amazed how well you tell your story through this blog! GOOD FOR YOU!
Does not surprise me :) I love reading your blog posts! They are so entertaining and you can imagine everything you are describing and the emotion is there too. Way to go on writing a novel!
Post a Comment