Saturday, January 1, 2011

Making Happy New Year

By an unexpected twist of life, I ended up stranded at home with my two kids last night.  One had cabin fever, the other the flu.  Troy was using the day off from work to knock out more walls in our new house and forgot he owned a cell phone :).  As the sun went down and parties got into swing, I started to feel very lonely.  Our current situation with Troy working up by our new house, and then going to work on our house after work (it's not liveable yet) with our only car, I'm used to being stuck home, but it was a holiday and I was feeling sorry for myself.
Finally, I got tired of feeling bent out of shape and remembered that it was completely up to me whether or not I had a "happy" new year.  So the kids and I got dinner in the oven, and started making some fancy new years hats.  While I was digging for doo-dads to glue on them, I found some old sparklers left over from 4th of July.  Carolyn came home just as our hats were finished and she took some pictures of us out ringing in the New Year. 





I guess that's one thing I've really learned this year.  I can choose my own happiness no matter what goes on around me.  There is something good in everything, and usually more than one something.  I just have to make the decision that I will see it, and let it lift my heart.  This New Year will be a good chance to practice better what I've learned. Happy New Year! I can't wait to see what I will have learned 364 days from today!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I LOVE those hats and I just might have to use that idea in the future! Your kids are so lucky to have you as a mom...I'm pretty sure I would have ruined the holiday and then figured out the day after that I should have chosen to be happy. You're amazing! (Hope you don't get tired of hearing that.)

P.S. I don't suppose you have any extra Christmas cards? We somehow got an empty envelope in the mail! haha- it was funny and made me laugh, but also sad because I didn't get to see it!

PixieGirl said...

You are so darling! I'm tellin' ya, you're the funnest mom on the block! Sorry you got stranded on New Years!

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

you have always made the best of hard times no matter what.. I can't believe your miracle baby is 3 right?? did you go to your dad's cabin on New Year's eve and then get sick?