Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Fire Bowl

You guys may remember my post from last year about the Fire Bowl my dad built up at our cabin.  Seeing as my dad can only stand to be outdone by himself, this year was a new challenge.  For months he has been driving up the canyon weekly to dig out the fire bowl, and has been telling us all about how he made it even cooler than last year (which I honestly didn't believe).  I should have believed him.
 On New Years day night we all trekked up to the cabin for Pop's big surprise.  The whole scene was magical.  He had lit luminaries along the entire corridor he had created back to the fire pit, and with loads of fresh snow on the trees, it was like something out of a movie.  We roasted marshmallows, ate popcorn and no one even cared that it was 7 below.  The best part of all was that one of my dad's coworkers came up and brought his very nice camera and took these amazing pictures using a tripod and a very slow shutter.  Floodlights from a neighboring cabin gave some of the trees a greenish glow. 
Thanks Pop for a wonderful evening and a magical memory!

The walls of this corridor were 6 feet tall!


Snow, Stars, and Sparks from the fire



Honestly, can you believe he dug this out?!

4 comments:

Mrs. Haynie said...

are you kidding me??! that seriously is from a movie! those pictures are amazing. there has to be a competition somewhere that his creation can be entered into...

Britney said...

That is so awesome! I would love to see it in person some day!

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

Amazing pictures and now I know where that creativity came from.. that snow pit is absolutely astonishing.. the pictures are BEAUTIFUL...

Tiffany said...

I so wish this could steal this tradition. I don't even go anywhere that has this much stink'n snow!! So beautiful and amazing!