Thursday, March 3, 2011

Drill and Dresses

You may not know that Aliyah is not my first daughter.  Shocked?  Well relax, I’m not confessing past indiscretions.  From the time she was a few months old, I have loved my little sister more than is common for sisters.  She is the first baby I lever loved with that  of a mother for a child.   
Now that she is getting older, our relationship has shifted.  For the first time I am stepping into the role of a sister, rather than a protector or caregiver.  She is growing up to be such a talented young lady, and her friendship means more to me than she will ever know. 
I am so proud of her every time I see her perform for Cottonwood High Drill team, or when I see her studying her brains out for Calculus.
 IMG_4078IMG_4080IMG_4082IMG_4085IMG_4083IMG_4495
This week I came up to visit Sarah as she got ready for Prom.  What did I find?  The typical Seron scene.  My mom was getting ready to finish sewing Sarah’s dress a mere 3 hours before her date was to come pick her up. I come from a long line of procrastinators.  We got to work and sewed like nobody’s business, but alas, poor Siale was left waiting in the living room for a good half hour while we finished her dress. 
The next few years will see fewer and fewer afternoons spent chatting out on blankets in the back yard, but I’ll always be waiting for the day when life brings our paths closer together again.
 IMG_4398IMG_4400IMG_4401IMG_4404IMG_4405IMG_4407IMG_4410

No comments: