Friday, March 25, 2011

Living Legends

I am sweaty, stinky, and my feet hurt.  I am tired hungry, and gearing up for a long night ahead.  I could not be happier. 

This weekend is the 40 year anniversary reunion for BYU Living Legends.  The years I danced with this group were some of the best of my childless years.  I love dancing Folklorico, and have done it in many groups, but only with BYU could I use that talent to share the gospel.  There was just a different feel to that group, that not only were we connected by dance and culture, but by the desire to spread the gospel through dance. 

I am even more excited that the dance I will be performing is not in the “Alumni Showcase” but in the actual show with the current group of performers. 
I told Troy it’s kind of like if his Mission President called him today and said, “Hey, we need back in the mission!”  I never ever thought that I would perform on the De Jong stage, with Living Legends again in my life.  It’s a dream come true.

So here I sit, in the Wilkinson Center, eating a subway sandwich all by myself, people watching, and running into old friends.  It’s Déjà vu at it’s best.  In a few minutes I will head over for the final dress rehearsal before the show,  and theeeeen……….. SHOWTIME!

Here is a video of our original show, courtesy of BYUTV:  It’s a long video (the whole show) but you can skip through.  I’m in all the Latin American numbers and the Maori number.

P1120636
Practicing on Thursday before the show.
P1120639
Running into old friends in the Wilk (Meredith & Jordan Zendejas)
P1120642
Spacing Practice.  Janielle Christensen directing the alumni for Go My Son.
P1120648
P1120663P1120675P1120676P1120679
Janielle Christensen directing Green Room.  The spirit was so strong we were all crying by the end.  What a gift to be involved in such a great show!
P1120692
P1120695
Michelle Wilson and Carina
P1120697
P1120698
Even after 6 years, my old shoes and my old earrings still have strips of gaffers tape with my name on them.  After all these years I’m still a part of the show! (even when I’m not dancing!)
P1120701
Me, Meredith Zendejas (Schramm), Dezi Lynn Hendershot, Jordan Zendejas
P1120706P1120708
Annya Becera & I weren’t in LL at the same time, but we have danced in many shows over the years together.  Jorge Sanchez was in the group when it was still Lamanite Generation, and he was my partner for La Vieja
P1120719
P1120725P1120730
The show went off perfectly!  I didn’t make even the slightest mistake, and I have never felt so confident and alive on stage.  It was like being given the chance to go back in time, knowing what I know now, and truly enjoy something I had always taken for granted before.  I guess you could say it was my own personal “It’s a beautiful life” experience. 

The crowd (full of alumni and LG/LL fans) was one of the best I’ve ever performed for.  I thought I would cry at the end, when we sing Go My Son and I Am A Child of God, but I didn’t.  I was so uplifted by the power of the words we were singing, I couldn’t cry.   I was too happy to be doing what I love most. 
After the show they held a reception in the Wilk for all the alumni.  The only problem, they had ordered the food in “white people” proportions, and it was gone in about 5 minutes.  No joke.  Still it was fun to mingle, chat, and watch videos of past generation’s performances.
P1120732
Lohi Tui, Me, Leticia Michalek(Hames) (who was also one of my bridesmaids at my wedding) and her sister Adriana Michalek(Villamizar)
P1120737
Vileena Begay (Peterson) and me
P1120738
Top Row: Jen Fuentes, Charmay Lee, Adam Lee, some guy.  Middle Row: Lohi Tui, some girl, Meredith Zendejas, Channy Tuitele, some girl.  Front Row:  Me, Fili Sagapolutele, James Senior.
P1120739
Ellen Fuentes, her daughter Isa, and me
P1120740
P1120741P1120744
Michelle Wilson, James Senior, Chauma Jansen, Chris Kryzmenski, Adriana Trejo
I am so very grateful that I had this chance to relive one of the greatest passions of my younger life, and to do it with the very same people who made it special in the first place.  What a great day!

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Very cool! Doug, Addy, and I just watched a LOT of that video... I've never seen Addy watch so much TV in one sitting.

You look beautiful. Well done, Melissa.

Mrs. Haynie said...

this post gave me goosebumps...i can remember going to one of your dances and seeing how beautiful you looked all dressed up. and i agree about reliving a moment with the perspective we have now. i would love to be able to do something like that...i wish i lived in utah so i could have gone to your performance!

heather said...

Oh Melissa this totally made me cry! I loved reading it and feeling that love and excitement you had over it, and completely connecting with you about being able to go back and re-live some of your favorite memories with greater perspective. What a wonderful blessing! Thank you for sharing it with me (us?)!

Meredith said...

Melissa, it was an amazing weekend! I had so much fun seeing you and everyone again! And I agree, LL was one of the greatest experiences I was able to do in my single life...I'm was honored to be able to re-live it again, just for the weekend.

The Richardsons said...

Thanks everybody! It was amazing for me and fun to share!