Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Mommy Diaries


As you have all noticed, I have not been overly talkative in my blogging lately, I barely had time to get my pregnancy post up :). One reason is that in the last week I have gone from proud mother of one to exhausted "mother" of 8 1/2. What a trip. This week I am tending my 4 cousins, Aliyah and Pregnancy in tow- while continuing my regular responsibilities with Sarah and Mike at my Mom's. Whew.

I started a new journal last month, something to document my somewhat out-of-control, white-knuckle ride through motherhood. I decided to name it my Mommy Diary. It became necessary the day I realized that I was mother to a one year old toddler who I had been sure my inexperience would kill before she was a week old. I was amazed to find that somehow she had survived a whole year and i had no idea how I managed it. So now I keep an irregular record of all my "ah-ha" and "uh-oh" moments, in hopes that I will retain some sort of memory of this wild ride called Motherhood.

My first entry? "Mom's don't know Squat." In summary, anyone who has cradled a newborn infant in their arms and waved a tearful goodbye to the hospital nursing staff knows the horror of realization that you don't know the first thing about what needs to be done to keep the kid alive. But crisis after crisis, you figure it out, you make it work, and somehow you manage not to cause any permanent damage to the little one whose life depends on you. It's amazing that we are built equipped to handle an existence riddled with the ecstacy of sheer terror. "Where is the baby?" "Did she just eat THAT?" "How did she climb all the way up there in 2 seconds?" " How did she get out of her car seat buckle?!" On and on it goes, i"m sure, until you're dead. (As I am writing this, I am interrupted by a loud crash and screams: Aliyah has just pulled my aunt's heavy centerpiece onto her head....)

But you know what? Mom's may not know squat, but they are the smartest people on the planet. NASA problem solvers can't hold a candle to a mother who daily has to figure out how to keep the crew fed, educated, entertained, loved, appreciated and, well, alive. We were built for this, and no one could do it better! Moms Rock!

6 comments:

Lizzie said...

I love it and I do hope you will share more "mommy diary" entries. You are a wonderful mom.

The Serons said...

I am so proud of you. You are doing a great job as a mother. I never really had any doubt. And you are doing an excellent job as mother II at our household. I love you and appreciate you.

April said...

You have to publish that soon. I want to read it so bad!

M said...

Thanks for the entry!
From another mother who knows squat times two

Tina, Brent and the boys said...

I started, not really a journal but, more like a book of "Funny Things The Boys Said Out Loud!" Which, in fact, is hilarious, so I am sure I could add a few chapters to your book!

Melissa, of all the people I know, you were born for this!

By the way, Lucas has a cool bright blue shirt that has big yellow letters on it that reads, "My Mom Rocks!" Humm,I wonder who bought it for him...?

Anonymous said...

Melissa your book will be great, kids are so funny! Somehow we make it through. Marcia is having a baby in April also! Love you, Aunt Linda