Tuesday, January 29, 2008

At last!


Well, this weekend we finally got to hold Gavin! They practically put us in Hazmat suits to lessen the contamination factor, but it felt so good to hold him in my arms and see his little face up close. It was kind of awkward with all the wires and tubes but I'm sure we'll be old pros in a week or two. It was also a little weird to be holding MY baby and having another lady tell me what he likes and doesn't like. It's just like everything else in the NICU, you love it and hate it. I love that the nurses take such good care of Gavin and are so emotionally invested in his well-being, but I hate that he has other "mommies" that know him better than I do! Grrrr.... Oh well, all in good time, right? Oh, and a funny thing he is doing right now, he is temporarily back on the nasal C-Pap (the apnea type machine) and the air flow down his trachea from it makes him have tons of thick gooey spit. So a lot of times when he opens his mouth, the air from the c-pap blows out and blows these big bubbles out of his mouth! It is so funny to see this cute baby with bubbles coming out of his mouth :) Love my boy!

14 comments:

Darbee said...

I love him! He is about the sweetest little guy, I have EVER seen! And the bubble thing is hilarious! I'm glad you got to hold him...and don't worry...no matter how many fill-in mommies he has...you will be his mommy forever!!! He is one lucky boy!

CherstynandMatt said...

Love the update! He continues to be in our daily/nightly prayers (you should hear the kids pray for him, so cute and sincere)! How much is he weighing these days? We'll be down to see him again soon, m'dear! Love you!

April said...

Keep posting the pictures! He looks better and better :)

HaLaine said...

I'm so happy for you! HE's looking so amazing!!

Anonymous said...

He is so cute and his color is even looking better. So happy you got to hold him. He must weigh hardly anything. The bubble story is so cute. Hope you can get a picture for his scrape book. Love you all! Aunt Linda

joshandemily said...

What a little doll! It looks like he's filling out and growing. You did good, you guys! I'm glad you could hold him. You are an awesome Mommy.

Pamlee48@cs.com said...

What an adorable picture! It is so fun to see his beautiful little face!! I guess one of the only solutions to those frustrating times of other mommies in his life is to think of the alternatives and how the Lord has blessed all of you so much! I had that experience as well but not as long and it is hard but there is a light at the end of the tunnel and there will probably be days when you think ..... I need one of those other mommies to fill in... Just kidding. We are so happy that he is growing so well. You will have miraculous tales to tell him one day.
Love Sister and Bishop Lee

M said...

He is so sweet! Love you guys!

Lizzie said...

He looks so freakin cute! You would never know from the picture how tiny he really is. Even though others may know about him and even love him, I am sure he knows who his mama is!

Missy said...

It looks like he is comfortable holding his tubes you may have to take them home with you! Yeah, you got to hold him. Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us posted.

Kimbur said...

He looks great you guys! I'm so happy for you that everything is going so well. We will continue to keep you and Gavin in our prayers! We miss you guys terribly.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you all that you have been able to hold him. Believe me...he knows his REAL Mom and Dad...he will never remember the nurses, but he will always remember you. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Heather said...

Melissa,

You may not remember us but you had Aliyah just before we had Hannah. We were in the student ward at BYU with you and Troy. I just found about your little boy from Heather Christensen's blog. I am happy to hear that he is doing better. Good Luck with everything. God bless you all.

-Heather Wright

Anonymous said...

yay! that is so exciting, i cant even imagine the emotions that you have gone through! you are truly amazing and your baby is beautiful!