Friday, May 30, 2008

Who needs Edward Cullen?

I'm on a Twilight kick. This always happens to me, I get so absorbed in a new book or series and I start seeing life through that lens. If I didn't have the self-control, I'd be one of those annoying people bearing testimony in church about how such-and-such book changed my life or something silly like that.

Now I know a lot of you have read these books (it's ok if you don't admit it, you know who you are...) and if so, you probably finished the first book rather enamored of the dreamy, romantic, yet dangerous hero, Edward Cullen. I mean really, he's the immortal James Dean. I definately had stars in my eyes for Edward until....... I met Jacob Black. It wasn't long before I found myself getting frustrated with Bella for choosing Edward over Jacob again and again! (for those of you who haven't read the books, this is no spoiler, so don't get worried). So the other day, I finally realized where the source of my frustrations came from. I married Jacob Black. Seriously. Ok, so my Jacob is white, under 7 feet and definately devoid of any mythical powers. But I fell in love with Troy for the same happy/energetic/slightly reckless personality Bella sees in Jacob. I can see so clearly how much happier Bella would be with Jacob because being married to Troy has made me the very best version of myself. He cheers me up when I am down and helps me face my fears (rather than protecting me from them) so I can grow stronger. He is, as Bella puts it, "my own personal sun." So Bella, if you're listening, take some advice from me. Ditch Edward Cullen. Brooding and controlling gets old quick, but sunshine is eternal! You can't have Troy, but believe me, Jacob is the next best thing.

5 comments:

janaya said...

you're a dork. :P haha. that's what you get for reading twilight! :)

but seriously... i had a bit of a breakdown yesterday and you were the friend on my mind. i miss you guys already and it's only been a week. i probably wouldn't even have seen you if we were still in provo! but knowing that i can't drives me bonkers!! :)

Mrs. Haynie said...

finally...someone who agrees with me about bella choosing jacob! i can't stand how mopey and depressed she got in the second book because of edward that i almost gave up reading it entirely...she belongs with the human..semi-human :)

Mike and Nicole said...

Hahaha, I just finished the second book this morning. I've read the first two books in two days...needless to say not much else has been done around the house. The third book is on hold at the library and I can't wait for Mike to get home so I can pick it up! I guess I'm a big dork, oh well. I can't wait for the movie in December. :)

Darbee said...

I'm SOOOO smitten with EDWARD!!! I can see what you're saying about Jacob... but I am SUCH a huge romantic, and think that Edward is great! I love the RoMaNtIc, PrOtEcTiVe, StRoNg, and DrIvEn type. Zach thinks I'm a dork for getting SO involved in these books... but I'll tell you right now, he doesn't complain when I get all lovey-dovey with him after reading about Edward. Somehow, that seems so wrong! :-) Happy Reading!

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

Well, I haven't read any of the books but I want to. Melissa you are such a gifted writer that I think you could do it professionally for someone. So good to see you Sunday and to see your sweet little ones. Gavin is adorable and I was so impressed with your bishop and how sweet he was. Take care love Pam