Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bad Day

I'm not gonna lie to ya, it's been a bad day. I'm always amazed at how quickly things can go from great to downright rotten. Today Gavin's persistent but "harmless" cough escalated into a minor attack while I was on the freeway to Salt Lake. When I could hear that he was gasping but not breathing, I broke about 200 traffic laws and rocketed off the freeway at the first opening. I got him out of his car seat, at which point he started to vomit until he was purple in the face. One attack, 2 more vomiting episodes, and a hectic drive later, the doctor was able to determine that Gavin has Bronchiolitis (not to be confused with Bronchitis...). This means that he has some fluid in his bronchiol tubes that is causing a viral infection that is A) making him sick, and B) keeping him from getting enough oxygen. A basic case of a bad cold made worse by preemie lungs. So our little Jedi Warrior has become Darth Gavin again, his face taken over by the oxygen equipment. He can't have any medication for his cough, so we are just going to tough it out with him and keep our fingers crossed that this doesn't progress to pneumonia. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.... :)

8 comments:

janaya said...

oh no! SO scary! poor little guy, and poor you for having to deal with such a crazy situation! keep us posted. in the meantime, he'll be in our prayers.

HaLaine said...

Yikes.
Get better buddy!

whitney said...

that's aweful! hang in there little dude.

Anonymous said...

oh, hang in there little guy! Good luck favorite family of ours. If you there is anything we can do, give us a ring.
Love ya!

Mrs. Haynie said...

so sorry mel..but we all know gavin is a trooper so i expect a better day tomorrow :)love you

heather said...

Talk about a scary experience! Gavin's already showed us what an amazing fighter he is, so hopefully this will pass and he will stay strong. Nevertheless - you're in our prayers!!

Tina, Brent and the boys said...

I was so happy to read all your blogs from first to last and this last one made me sad! I have totally been there! It seems like just when your little guy is looking like he is out of the woods, there is another hill to climb! God willing, Gavin will be on inhaling room air soon enough!
BTW...what ideas are you gonna come up with for little boys, that's all I know.?? Your Diva Blog is awesome, and before I forget, I've been getting the emails from FLYlady's website for over a yr now, great stuff!

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

All I can say is that you must have nerves of steel. Wow! Your are an amazing mommy, Melissa and I admire your strength and courage as always. We will be praying for little Gavin and your faith will carry him through. I honestly think that he knows of your faith and strength and so does Heavenly Father. I love the picture of you and Gavin sleeping together. How precious. We wish you the best and pray for all to be well once again.
Love Sister and Bishop Lee