Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My Personal Trainer

Aliyah has decided to earn her keep around the house by taking up post as my personal trainer. It all started a few weeks ago when I started running with the kids. I had never run while pushing the stroller before, and Aliyah was beside herself with delight. So now, every time I put her in the stroller she screams, "RUN MOM! RUN!" It was cute at first, but now the little speed demon won't let me walk. Ever. So today I was taking a walk break before attempting a jog uphill when my pint-sized personal trainer piped up. "RUN MOM! RUN!" I obeyed and picked up the pace, even though my lungs and legs were signaling "Mayday! Mayday!" with every step. Before long Aliyah's squeals of delight were punctuated with my increasingly exaggerated gasps for air. I finally rolled to a stop like so much post-partum sludge and waited for my legs and lungs to re-inflate. Lucky for me I had expired next to a plentiful grape vine and decided a snack would do me good. Looking up ahead I saw an apricot tree, and figured I could walk at least that far. 10 apricots later I spotted a plum tree a little further down and, well, my run pretty much evolved into a leisurely outdoor buffet. And since my little Trainer's mouth was kept conveniently full of food, I was able to finish my walk in true Kung-Foo Panda style. Who knew losing weight could taste so good?

7 comments:

janaya said...

grapes and apricots and plums... i was definitely walking on the wrong streets in provo. and i think i need to get me one of them little personal trainers. the motivation to make a toddler laugh would far exceed my motivation to fall on the ground in agony over my bleeding lungs.

whitney said...

haha! you're awesome melissa. that DOES sound like a delicious run. :)

Mrs. Ordinary said...

How funny and yummy! Jonas needs to meet Aaliyah and learn her motivational techniques. He mostly screams to go back home and being the selfless mother I am, I happily oblige and forego the exercise.

Mrs. Haynie said...

i laughed out loud about your little women comment. that darn spit!!! that story still makes me sad when i read/watch it cuz i know she is supposed to be with the professor, but i just feel so bad for laurie. sadness. and i love that aliyah is pushing you on the runs. one summer i had mack bike next to me and when i slowed down he would hit me on my bum with a stick and yell, "don't slow down fatty!" you should have seen the looks on the neighbors faces.

April said...

Hey Melissa:

I emailed you the instruction on the blogs. Hey, how did you make your blog's background looks so nice? How did you do it?

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

Wow what a writer you are. I was laughing out loud as well. I guess I need a personal trainer as well or someone to slap my hinny and tell me to get with it. How fun life can become through your eyes.
Love Sister Lee

Anonymous said...

THat's awesome. You make your posts so interesting and funny. Hey, so 6 and 7 on cd? sure thing.