Saturday, January 17, 2009

Headed for Extinction

Allow me to recount for you a recent experience that in my mind is irrefutable evidence that a formerly common American pastime is on the verge of extinction.

This endangered form of fun is none other than the near-prehistoric Board Game (including card games and any other form of game not requiring an outlet).I thought I would pick one up for a party my sister was having the other night and had no idea that I would end up feeling like Indiana Jones looking for the Lost Ark. On my third attempt to find this particular game called Curses at various game and toy stores, I had this exact conversation with an absolutely bewildered teenage employee

Me: I'm looking for the game Curses
Her: Ok, for what system?
Me: No system, it's like a table game
Her: Oh, like for computers?
Me: No, not computers, just a regular game
Her: Ok, so like for X-Box, Wii, Playstation.....?
Me: No! A regular game.....like......[searching for something even this kid could recognize] ...... Monopoly!
Her: Oh. Uh.... Hmm..... Uh.... I don't know where you can get those kinds of games (looking at me like I had just asked her where I could find an untouched and intact dinosaur skeleton) Sorry.

No joke people, it took me 2 hours to find a place that sold non-electronic games! What is this world coming to?! By the time I laid hands on it I felt confused and very, very old, like an elderly person who had gone into movie theater hoping to catch the latest Charlie Chaplin flick. The teenagers at Sarah's party did have fun with the game despite the fact that it did not belong to any "system", computer, and the highest technology in the box was a bell. I guess good old fashioned fun will never truly die eh?

4 comments:

Jared and Jessica said...

Haha, that is a funny story! I love that game by the way! Classic!

James said...

Dang technology...taking over our lives (as I sit here blogging on a micro PC that fits in the palm of my hand). We love technology, but not as much as you you see. But we still love technology.

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

Bishop and I just found a new game to us called 7 Crowns. The Erickson's had us over with other friends and we had a blast. Bishop challenges me to a game every chance he can and he wond the first 7 games but last night was my night and I WON!!!! Your adventure in finding the game is hilarious. It was like a scene out of Dumb and Dumber! Love Sister Lee

M said...

I always love your posts. But I have to admit- I've never heard of this game either.