Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Marriage Matters



"We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'."
-Beverly Clark, "Shall We Dance"

Yesterday Troy and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary. In 3 more years we will have been married for a decade! Ok, I know that's jumping ahead a little bit since 3 years is almost half of what we've already been married, but it just seems like the last 7 years have been both an instant and an eternity (in a good way). In those 7 little years Troy has become such a part of ME that even the years of my life without him are the days, weeks and months that led me to him, and prepared me to be the kind of wife worthy of such a wonderful man.

To celebrate, we went to this awesome Thai restaurant for dinner, drove along the foothills of Salt Lake to see the lights like we did when we were dating, went to an awesome play at Hale Center Theater, and then out to a movie. I love those rare moments we have alone together to laugh and flirt and remember all the wonderful things that brought us together in the first place. Simone de Beauvoir said that "to catch a husbad is an art, to hold him is a job." Well, if that's true, then the last 7 years have been the spent in the best employment I've ever had, and I plan to hold on just as tight for the rest of our lives!

6 comments:

The Serons said...

And Troy could not have chosen a better wife. You are amazing, Meliss.

Mom

whitney said...

you guys are so awesome. we totally miss you.

Mrs. Haynie said...

oh melissa..you guys are so cute. i feel like it has gone by so fast. just yesterday you were calling me to tell me you two were getting married. and i was like what?!!! what about taiwan?!! so crazy. i love you both..and the lil' ones too...

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

What an adorable tribute to your marriage and I must say you look like a movie star. What a beauty and you two are so fun! We have another miracle in the 158th ward and that another couple hoping to be parents are going to be in June with baby girl. It must be magic right!. Love to you guys and happy anniversary. We celebrated 41 years in Sept.
Love Bishop and Sister Lee

Allie said...

Congrats! You two sure make a great couple and are such great examples of a couple in love.

M said...

Congratulations to one of our favorite all time couples!