Ok so today is Aliyah's 5th day of hives, and while they seem to be migrating and changing positions all over her poor swollen body, she's no better today than 5 days ago. she has seen 2 doctors and gotten different prescriptions for the itching. We still don't know what caused/is causing it. Have any of you dealt with serious hives? What did you do to help the itching and how long did it last? The doctor said it could take up to a week for the symptoms to clear up, but I'm having a hard time being patient when she looks like this! I've never been allergic to anything so I have no experience in this area. I'd welcome any and all opinions :)
Here are some pics from the last few days:
Day 3: (The earlier post was the beginning of day 3, these are from later in the day, and yes those are bruises inside the hives)

Day 4:

Today, Day 5: I woke up to this sweet puffy face kissing me good morning (I about fell out of bed when I opened my eyes... Compare this picture to the one from the last post and you'll see the difference)
6 comments:
My husband is HIGHLY allergic to poison ivey. When he gets it, it has a tendency to go sestemic... which means that the poison stuff gets in his blood stream and infects his whole body. He has to get a steroid pills/cream/shot to get rid of it. Without the creams/shot stuff, it can take a long time to get rid of... and it is no fun. Anywho, what your little girl looks like is exactly like what my husband looks like when he gets it. I do not know if it is or not (because I am no doctor) but it might be something to look into. Love ya!
~Randi
Emily had hives like that (without the bruises though) when she was on amoxicillin. It was Thanksgiving 2006 and I took her to the ER. Pediatricians couldn't figure out what it was but guessed it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotic (she had an ear infection at the time). They switched her to a different antibiotic (zithromax) and prescribed some Benadryl. She was fine a few days later. I'll email you a pic so you can compare. Poor little girl!
I was gonna say penicillin allergy...Nathan is highly allergic to it. Has she been on any antibiotics recently or changed detergent, food, drinks or anything weird? Did they do bloodwork on her?
She had been on amoxicillan (sp?) for about a week before she broke out. She had an ear infection just like Lana's daughter, but I had wondered if that was the cause because she had already been on it for so long. Can it still be the cause of a reaction after 7 days? Maybe it needed to build up in her system before causing a reaction. The doctor did have me take her off the medicine just in case. I'll look into the steriod cream too because the oral steroid makes her vomit. (as if she needs any more suffering!)
My sisters were allergic to the sunshine for a short time when they were Aliyah's age. They would break out after any period of time outside. I just remember my mom covering them up and spending most time inside. Also I get really bad, huge hives when I'm stressed about something (a new symptom since college...) but I hope that's not it! I usually just have to take some benadryl though...probably not much help. Our prayers are with you!
Oh oh oh that looks so terrible!! I hope you find a cure to the symptons soon. I feel so badly for you and Aliyah. Poor little thing. It makes me want to cry but there she is with a cute smile on her face once again. Love Sister Lee
I need your email address.
Post a Comment