Friday, February 27, 2009

A Book Review and The Month in Pictures

The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book (a guide to whole grain breadmaking) by Laurel Robertson

I love, love, love, love, love this book! I have just embarked on the quest to try and make great-tasting whole wheat bread for my family instead of buying store-bought. I wasn't too happy with the results of the recipes I was trying UNTIL....... I read this book. It takes a little time to read at first because she goes through each ingredient and how it contributes to a perfect loaf, but it is well worth the effort. Yesterday I made a healthy (no sugar, very low fat) whole wheat loaf that is light, fluffy, and tasty enough to rival any white bread. I'm in love!



The Month of Love

We kicked off the month with Valentines day and a delicious Crepe breakfast with Troy's Dad's family. It absolutely ruined all attempts at weight loss for the month but it was well worth it!


Next we had Troy's birthday which we celebrated with a big Mexican breakfast and some colorful decorations. Troy has officially entered his last year of being a Twenty-Something, the big 29!


After that, we had a blast sledding with with Wights and their kids. I'm pretty sure I single-handedly managed to scar Gavin for life as far as sledding goes :) I don't know if he will ever forgive me for the face full of snow he got when my foot came off the sled and launched a steady stream of snow at him until we reached the bottom. Oops. troy and Justin really went over the top building jumps for their sleds and seeing how far or high they could throw themselves off the runs. Hopefully there will be video to come.


All the fun was a little too much for Aliyah, who was so tired by the end that she couldn't even muster the strength to pull herself into bed before falling asleep. I wish I could fall asleep that easily! Well, it was a good month, full of food and fun, and a new one just around the corner!

4 comments:

janaya said...

i miss you. time for a phone call. :)

janaya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Haynie said...

speaking of crepes...i still make your recipe that you gave me back at byu. i LOVE it...and someday i will follow your example and make home-made bread. i don't have a bread maker though...

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

Well, it looks like another fun-filled month for the Richardsons. It is so great seeing parents that play so much with their kids. Way to go. I will keep that book in mind. I used to make really good bread a long time ago but with working something had to go. Perhaps soon I can swing back into it.
Love sister Lee