Me: Aliyah we have to go now!
Aliyah: But mom, I'm talking to him!
Me: Babe, he's just a statue, it's time to go.
Aliyah: (emphatically) No mom, he's my boyfriend!!!
Me: Wha....?
Aliyah: (putting her arm around him and talking to him) "I like your book, thanks for reading with me but I have to go now."
I, of course am snapping shots on my phone while she says goodbye and gives him a quick kiss on the cheek. I stand wondering how in the world she even knows what a boyfriend is, since we don't watch any TV other than the occasional Dora episode. Suddenly the scene from Dan in Real Life began playing in my head ("Dad, I love him! I love him! I LOVE HIM!") and the terror must have shown on my face, because a lady passing by commented as she chuckled:
"Well, look at it this way, he's not a trouble-maker, he's got good taste in literature, and they won't be sneaking out together any time soon. It could be worse!"
I laughed out loud and realized that only a true veteran could be so optimistic about a three-year-old deciding it's time for a boyfriend. I've got a lot to learn.....

7 comments:
This is TOO funny! At Nauvoo, Chloe LOVED all/any of the children statues. Aliyah is so darn cute! Don't you love camera phones? Sure, they're not the best quality, but they can catch a moment you're wanting to visually remember.
Miss you guys!
oh my goodness! she never ceases to delight me and cause me to chuckle up a storm. How precious and you have a picture of it. thanks for sharing all the fun stuff she does. she is such a hoot.
She is so adorable! And I do like that she is going for the guy who likes to read- her taste is definitely in the right area. But you definitely need to keep an eye on her since she is only 3! What a doll
I just read this post out loud to brian and showed him the pictures, because it is too darn funny. That girl is a riot! p.S. we love dan in real life. that movie is one of my all time favorites!
That story made ME laugh out loud! What a funny gal!
Just wait until she gets into school. Adelle told me yesterday about her dream.
She had a boyfriend named Jameson (a boy in her class) and he was talking to another girl and Adelle got sad.
Then for the past week she has talked about Jameson at least once a day (more like multiple times)
How cute! She's so gorgeous she'll have tons of boyfriends! You'd better watch out!
Post a Comment