Friday, November 6, 2009

Self-Discipline?

Aliyah has been having a little bit of a problem lately controlling her frustration when she cannot have my immediate attention. If it becomes apparent to her that her mantra of "Mom!Mom!Mom!Mom!Mom!........" while tugging on my pants is getting her nowhere, she puts on her meanest meanie face and whallops the nearest part of me. This of course is unacceptable behavior and gets her put in lock-down in her room until she is ready to talk to me about why we dont hit (ever!).

Well, the other day I was occupied on the phone and Aliyah was once again determinedly trying to talk to me and "hold me" while I finished up the conversation. With a stern "No" I turned her about and gently pushed her in the direction of her toys. Well, that was about all she could handle apparently because she walked back over to me with her "angry eyebrows" face and said "Mom, I'm going to time out ok?", whacked me on the leg, and then walked over and plopped herself down in the time-out chair. I stared stunned for a moment, and then hid myself in the kitchen while I giggled. After a few minutes, she came over with a big smile on her face, hugged my leg, said "I'm sorry Mom!" and skipped back out again.

Here's what gets me: She obviously thought this course of action through. She thought "Man, I'd really like to give her what-for, but then I have to go to time out........Hmmm.....Yep. Definately worth it." I mean, at least she is willing to take responsibility for her actions but seriously, this girl is either going to be a genius or a felon. Either way I'm in for quite a time so I guess I'll brace myself for both......

5 comments:

Kami said...

3 year olds are hilarious! Izzy has been acting up a bit (we think partly to a new baby) and while I am usually getting mad at her, I have to hide sometimes too just to laugh! LOVE those family photos!

Mrs. Ordinary said...

I love her so much.

Lizzie said...

Too funny!

Kimbur said...

she is definitely a genius!

plpamlee@gmail.com said...

that is soooo funny, My grandson that is almost 3 named himself Ross who is Porter's mean twin. when he acts up he calls himself Ross and then my daughter asks him where her sweet Porter is and usually he will bend and become Porter again. I just can't get over the imagination these kids have unbelieveable!!