Monday, April 18, 2011

Passover Seder Dinner

This weekend’s Passover dinner was a great success.  Last year I put together a traditional “first” Passover, as would have been eaten by the Jews in Egypt.  This year I spent a little more time in research and planned a Seder dinner.  Seder means ordered, or organized, and is the modern term for the dinner Jews eat to commemorate that first Passover.

Of course, since we’re not Jewish, we didn’t keep a strictly kosher Passover, but did as much as we could.  In lieu of reading the Passover story from the scriptures, we played a game.  We did an obstacle course of the different plagues, and each kid had to get through the different stations (plagues) to get to our dinner. 

Angie and Sam may look like they’re trying to be Hindu, but the red stickers are “boils” from our obstacle course.  Troy of course had to put boils on his eyes to make things more interesting.P1130235P1130234

At the table Troy’s dad (the head of the household) went over the Seder plate with us, explaining what each item represents.  P1130230

He broke the matzo and hid the first piece (Afikomen) for the kids to find after dinner.  We ate a traditional meal of beef brisket, potato kugel, roasted asparagus and matzah, served with grape juice (in place of wine). 

P1130231

After dinner we brought out the remaining matzo from the head of the house’s plate, with a glass of juice.  This part of the dinner is believed to be the part where Christ instituted the first sacrament.  We talked about the Savior, and for our Hillel, we sang “In Humility Our Savior” and closed with a testimony by J. 

It was a wonderful evening, and one I hope to repeat for many, many years to come. Only next year I think I’ll take more pictures Smile

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Ooo I love this! I'm trying to learn more about doing Christ-centered traditions and preparing a Passover meal, now I'm just going to need to call you up and learn more details to your Seder Dinner! You are awesome!